Have you ever wanted to record a refund from a vendor under the actual Vendor in Dynamics GP? Well you can, and here’s how. Of course, you can record it under the banking module if you are only concerned about updating the checkbook. But, here is how we can enter it in Dynamics GP so it updates the Vendor and the Checkbook at the same time.
In this scenario, I have received a refund of $750.00 from my Federal Express vendor. They did not send a credit, but a check payable to my company.
In the Payables module I am going to enter a “Return”.
- Select the Document Type of “Return”
- Select your Vendor
- Enter the Date
- Enter a document number. You may elect to use the Check Number of the refund.
- Enter the value of the refund on the “Returns” field.
- Enter the value of the refund on the “Cash” field.
- Accept the defaults, but make sure it’s the checkbook you want the funds to go to.
- Click on Distributions
- Make sure you credit the appropriate account and the Debit will be to Cash.
- Save to a batch or Post the transaction immediately.
You will notice when you do an Inquiry on your Vendor, there is a “Return” entry that has gone to History.
Purchasing>Inquiry>Transaction by Vendor
Now we must update the checkbook for reconciliation purposes.
- Select your Checkbook
- Enter the correct date
- Mark the box against the item the represents the refund
- Post the transaction
You will now see this entry in your Checkbook as a deposit.